List of All PDP Governors in Nigeria and their States
There are about 20 Nigerian states controlled by APC while PDP controls 15 states in Nigeria presently. We have previously written on the full list of Governors in Nigeria and the states controlled by the APC currently.
PDP was the major party ruling in Nigeria, having the highest number of seats in the National Assembly and also the highest number of Governors since 1999.
It was until 2015 when PDP was defeated in the general elections which saw the All Progressive Congress, APC defeat the People’s Democratic Party, the PDP.
Although, there are other political parties in Nigeria registered under INEC like APGA, KOWA, YDP e.t.c, PDP and APC still remains the two main political party that decides elections and polls in Nigeria, except in Anambra state which is an APGA controlled state.
Well, in terms of popularity, both political parties are almost same. We will not go into that as the main purpose of this article is to sensitize you to know the 16 Nigerian states currently controlled/ruled by PDP governors in Nigeria presently.
The list of PDP controlled states was updated immediately after the 2021 governorship elections held on December by INEC.
States in Nigeria Controlled By the PDP and their Governors 2021
- Akwa Ibom – elected Governor is Emmanuel Udom till 2023
- Abia State – elected Governor is Dr Victor Ikpeazu till 2023
- Delta State – elected Governor is Ifeanyi Okowa till 2023
- Rivers State – elected Nyesom Wike as Governor till 2021.
- Taraba State – elected Governor is Darius Ishaku till 2021.
- Enugu State – elected Governor is Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi till 2023.
- Benue State – elected Governor is Samuel Ortom till 2023
- Oyo State – elected governor is Seyi Makinde till 2023
- Osun State – elected governor is Ademola Adeleke till 2023 (court nullified Oyetola’s winning)
- Sokoto State – elected governor is Aminu Tambuwal till 2023.
- Bauchi State – elected governor is Bala Mohammed till 2023.
- Adamawa State – elected governor is Ahmadu Fintiri till 2023
- Zamfara State – elected governor is Bello Matawalle till 2023 by Supreme Court
- Bayelsa State – elected governor is Douye Diri till 2024 by Supreme court
- Edo State – Gov. Obaseki changed his party to PDP after APC suspended him from contesting.
Those are the names of all Nigerian governors in PDP, their states and validity period in office. Imo State – elected governor was Chukwuemeka Ihedioha but was removed by the supreme court. Hope Uzodinma of the APC is now the elected governor of Imo state till 2024.
Edo state is now under the control of the PDP after Governor Obaseki joined recently. Ben Ayade of Cross River State recently decamped to the APC.