Rice is one of the major starchy cereal crop planted in very large quantities in Nigeria, with many countries across the globe venturing into rice production. This cereal grain is of various types and the methods of its preparation are different. While many countries engage in large production of rice grain, Basmati rice isn’t any different. In this article, we find out how much a bag of basmati rice goes for in the Nigerian food market this period.
Rice is mostly cultivated in Asia and other foreign countries this food has been in existence for over 50 years ago now. It also has nutritional value affordable. There are many types of rice in the world today, starting from the ones produced in Asia down to the ones produced in Nigeria. Though rice is of quality and grade.
Basmati is one of the oldest produced cereals in the world. Record shows rice as being among the largest imported food crop within Nigeria with the highest consumption rate for both children and adults. Nigeria produces local rice, and though the quantity produced isn’t enough to circulate the federation, there’s still a high importation rate of rice. Basmati rice, is one of the highest quality long grain rice you can find in the country and has a high cost in the Nigerian market in terms of price.
CURRENT PRICE OF BASMATI RICE IN NIGERIA (2023)
There are many types of rice in Nigeria, our main concern is Basmati rice. Basmati rice being quality the price can’t be compared to other varieties of rice. The Nigerian local farmers don’t have the specie to cultivate and more so, the plantation of the exact specie won’t survive here in Nigeria. Nonetheless, all supplies are imported by the foreign exporter.
How can you identify Basmati rice? Generally, the rice is longer and has a small thin shape compared to our local rice and other foreign rice. In the Nigerian market, it hasn’t gained enough sales output compared to other foreign rice and even locally made ones.
Among the different brands and packaging styles of Basmati Rice, we shall be knowing the current price and size of all Basmati Rice. Due to the price increment, everything is expensive. Below are the current prices of Basmati rice brands in the country:
- Tropical Sun Golden Sella Pure Basmati Rice 5kg (pack of 2) – ₦20,000 – ₦25,000
- Laila Brown Basmati Rice 5kg – ₦13,500 – ₦18,000
- Maharani Indian Basmati Rice Suitable For Diabetics 5kg – ₦12,200 – ₦14,050
- Aani Golden Sella Basmati Rice 5kg – ₦13,000 – ₦17,000
- Royal Basmati Rice 9.07kg – ₦17,000 – ₦19,000
- Tropical Sun Premium Basmati Rice 5Kg – ₦11,400 – ₦17,000
- Lal Qilla Sella Basmati Rice (parboiled Rice) 5kg – ₦17,500 – ₦21,000
- Tropical Sun Golden Sella Pure Basmati Rice 5kg X 4 Units – ₦39,300 – ₦45,000
- TRS Basmati Rice 500g – ₦1,700 – ₦2,700
- Akash Basmati Rice 5kg pack of 2 – ₦29,000 – ₦38,000
- Pride Of India Indian White Basmati Rice Age Aromatic Grain Jar 3.3lb 1.5kg – ₦12,500 – ₦17,000
- Lal Qilla Basmati Rice Suitable For Diabetes & Obesity 1kg – ₦4,800 – ₦5,800
- Aani Golden Sella Basmati Rice 5kg – PACK OF 4 – ₦39,900 – ₦49,000
- Aani Premium Basmati Rice For Keto And Diabetic 5Kg – ₦17,000 – ₦21,000
- Pride Of India Quinoa & Basmati Whole Grain Mix – Brown Rice 1.5 24oz – ₦9,900 – ₦18,900
- Aani Golden Sella Basmati Rice 10kg 2 Bags – ₦29,000 – ₦39,000
- Akash Basmati Rice 5kg – ₦9,550 – ₦19,900
- Lal Qilla Basmati Rice 5kg (Suitable For Diabetes & Obesity) – ₦19,000 – ₦35,000
- Aani Golden Sella Basmati Rice 10kg – ₦19,500 – ₦26,500
- Aeroplane Indian Basmati Rice 5kg – ₦19,800 – ₦27,000
- Tropical Sun Natural Brown Basmati Rice 2kg carton of 6 – ₦24,050 – ₦37,000
- Amazing Sella Extra Long Grains Basmati Rice 1 Kg pack of 2 – ₦9,525 – ₦12,000
- India Gate Basmati Rice Feast Rozana 5Kg carton of 4 – ₦29,000 – ₦36,000
NUTRITIONAL VALUE FOR BASMATI RICE
Having to know more about the price and packaging size, let’s take a look at the nutritional value Basmati can give to you after consumption. Nonetheless, Basmati is high in carbohydrates, calories, selenium, and other nutritional content. Below are values from the cooked Basmati Rice:
- Calories – 210
- Carbs – 45.6 grams
- Copper – 12% of the DV
- Fat – 0.5 grams
- Fiber – 0.7 grams
- Folate – 24% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Iron – 11% of the DV
- Magnesium – 5% of the DV
- Niacin – 15% of the DV
- Phosphorus – 6% of the DV
- Protein – 4.4 grams
- Selenium – 22% of the DV
- Sodium – 399 mg
- Thiamine – 22% of the DV
- Vitamin B6 – 9% of the DV
- Zinc – 7% of the DV
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF BASMATI RICE?
Just like other cereal food, Basmati has lots of health benefits.:
- It is a great source of vitamins A, B, and D.
- Basmati rice is rich in minerals and vitamins. Some of these include calcium, thiamine, riboflavin, iron, niacin, and vitamin D.
- It doesn’t contain any cholesterol or fat.
- Basmati rice is free of sodium and is perfect for a balanced diet.
- It is a good source of resistant starch which facilitates the growth of bacteria that ensure bowel health.
- Effective in the treatment of diarrhea in kids.
- Basmati rice is non-allergenic and is great for people suffering from digestive problems.
Have you been wondering how you can get good quality rice with healthy health benefits? Basmati Rice is one of the best foreign rice you can think of, it has all the required health benefits any starchy food can offer. The price is something the common man won’t be able to afford due to the high cost, though there are smaller packaged ones which go for less amount, seems affordable though!