This post contains the full list of top Nigeria newspapers online and their websites, so you can read your daily news stories easily on your mobile phone or a computer with internet access from these news sites rather than reading newspapers directly which are pretty expensive.
We earlier wrote on the first newspaper in Nigeria which of course was the origin of the print medium in Nigeria. Over the years, with the aid of technology, most newspapers in Nigeria have decided to have an online presence which will enable them disseminate information easily to the masses or public.
There are top newspapers operating in Nigeria that are considered the best to get latest news from. Whether it is politics, sports, entertainment, education, culture or what ever category of information you are looking for, these Nigerian newspapers available online would surely keep you updated with the latest breaking news in the country.
Since the advent of the internet, most media houses in Nigeria and in the world today have taken advantage of the online space to disseminate latest breaking news to the public.
The high cost of newspapers in Nigeria coupled with the dwindling nature of our reading culture has caused these national newspapers to use the online platform to inform their audience.
If you do not want to miss out on the latest breaking news in the country, are looking for political news stories, gossip, sport news, entertainment gist etc, then read on.
It’s a common fact that the youths don’t like reading papers, most newspapers have chosen to disseminate news online. Are you looking for top Nigerian newspapers online websites, We have compiled the top newspapers that have websites that you can get the latest news you seek.
This write-up lists the websites of all online newspapers in Nigeria/ best news sites to get up to date news around the world.
List of Popular Nigeria newspapers online & their Websites
- Vanguard: Their website is at vanguardngr.com.
- The Punch Newspaper: Their website is at punching.com
- This Day Newspaper: Their website is at thisdaylive.com
- The Nation Newspaper: Their website is at thenationlineng.com
- Nigerian Tribune Newspaper: Their website is at tribune.com.ng.
- The Guardian Newspaper: Their website is at ngrguardinanews.com
- Sahara Reporters: Their website is at www.saharareporters.com
- Leadership Nigeria newspaper: Their website is at leadership.ng
- The Sun Newspaper: Their website is at sunnewsonline.com
- PM News: Their website is at pmnewsnigeria.com
- Daily Trust: Their website is at dailytrust.com.ng
- Premium Times: Their website is at premiumtimesng.com
- NEXT: Their website is at 234next.com
- Daily Independent newspaper: Their website is at dailyindependentnig.com
- Osun Defender Newspaper
- Daily Post: Their website is at www.ng
- Daily Times Newspaper: Their website is at dailytimes.com.ng
- Channels Television: Their website is at channelstv.com
- National Mirror Newspapers: Their website is at nationalmirroronline.net
- Nairaland Forum: Their website is at nairaland.com
- Businessday News: Their website is at business day online.com
- Daily Newswatch: Their website is at my daily news watching.com
- Complete Sports: Their website is at completesportsNigeria.com
- Nigeria World: Their website is at nigeriaworld.com
- The Advocate: Their website is at theadvocatengr.com
- The Nigerian Observer: Their website is at Nigerian observer news.com
- Nigerian Pilot: Their website is at nigerianpilot.com
- The People’s Daily: Their website is at peoplesdaily-online.com
- Champion News: Their website is at champions.com.ng
- Business News: Their website is at businessnews.com.ng
- National Daily Newspaper: Their website is at nationaldailyng.com
- Compass: Their website is at compass newspaper.com
- The Tide: Their website is at the tide news online.com
- The Abuja Inquirer: Their website is at theabujainquirer.com
- The Abuja Voice: Their website is at abujavoice.com
- Daily Post Nigeria: Their website is at dailypost-ng.com
- Weekly Trust: Their website is at weeklytrust.dailytrust.com
- Blueprint: Their website is at blueprint.ng
- National Accord: Their website is at nationalaccordnewspaper.com
- Urhobo Voice: Their website is at urhobotimes.com
- Sunday Trust: Their website is at sundaytrust.com.ng
- Africa Punch: Their website is at africapunch.com
- Tell Magazine: Their website is at tell.ng
- The Times of Nigeria: Their website is at thetimesnigeria.com
- Imo Trumpeta: Their website is at imotrumpeta.com
- Nigeria 24 News: Their website is at nigeria24news.com
- Biafra Nigeria World: Their website is at Biafra Nigeria world.com
- Nigerian News: Their website is at nigeriannews.com
- The Triumph Newspapers: Their website is at triumphnews.ng
- News Naija: Their website is at naij.com
Full List of Major Nigerian Newspaper Websites And Their Publishers
This Day is among the top Nigerian national newspapers published on 22 March 1995. The publishing firm has two printing plants in major cities in Nigeria, Abuja and Lagos retrospectively while ThisDay newspaper headquarters is located at Apapa in Lagos.
It recorded a high circulation of 100,000 copies in 2005 and $35 million turnover for investors. With the aid of state of the art technology, the publisher uses colour printing which has seen the stake of the ThisDay as one of the best national newspapers in the country.
Some of the editors who see to the day to day publication of latest news at ThisDay include: Ijeoma Nwogwuwu, Bolaji Adebiyi, Segun Adeniyi and Simon Kolawole.
The Punch newspapers are known for their unique news reporting and have grown to be one of the most widely read newspaper in the country. Founded by James Aboderin and Sam Amuka, former editor at Daily Times, you can be sure that they are also a force to be reckoned with in the media landscape.
Be it political news stories, crime reporting, entertainment and style, fashion or even business report, The Punch newspaper has it all. Their online platform is also top notch, as it is mobile friendly, quick and responsive. They also have a mobile app for all kinds of devices which can be easily downloaded on the Google Play store for Android and Apple store for IOS devices.
The team of editors at this company or media house work assiduously to make sure you get factual report as it happens. Samson Folarin is one of their seasoned reporter whose by-line appears on a daily basis on the paper. The company also has its weekly newspaper, the Sunday Punch which it launched in 1973.
The Nigerian Tribune
The Nigerian Tribune is one of the oldest newspaper in the country founded by Obafemi Awolowo in 1949 during the colonial era before independence in 1960. This paper in those times served as the voice through which the Yorubas passed their grievances to the ruling government.
The Editorial team is headed by Edward Dickson, the current Editor in Chief, Debo Abdulai, Editor Nigerian Tribune, Sina Oladeinde, Editor Sunday Tribune and Lasisi Olagunju, Saturday Tribune Editor.
Media Trust is another private Nigerian newspaper publishing company in charge of the Daily Trust which started in 2001. Their weekly editions are the Weekly Trust and Sunday Trust.
As of today, Daily Trust is the largest circulating newspapers in Northern Nigeria and also have an online platform and the Daily Trust App on Google Play store.
Business Day was founded in 2001 and has since grown to give unbiased news report on politics, business, and extensive analysis on the economic situation. With seasoned journalists and reporters such as Patrick Atuanya, Obodo Ejiro , Onyinye Nwachukwu, and Ifeoma Okeke, Business Day gives you all the info you need.
The former Editor-in-Chief of this publishing company was Femi Adesina who is now serving as the Special Adviser to the President on Media matters while the current Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief is Mr. Eric Osagie.
The publisher himself, Dr Orji Uzor Kalu is also among the richest Igbo men in the country and the owner of New Telegrapgh. The Sun Newspaper has a strong base in the South-East. Just recently in 2011, the company sold 150,000 copies, and 145,000 for weekend editions, amassing a profit of 80% ROI. This made The Sun the highest selling newspaper in Nigeria that year.
The Nigerian Observer
The Nigerian Observer is a daily newspaper published in May 1968 in Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria. The paper which is owned by the state government has a low outreach and poor circulation.
In fact, the shortage of newsprint has limited its presence and the amount of news reporting due to the fact that advert on this paper is low.
The Tide now has its digital print and is among the Nigerian daily newspapers. Currently owned by the Rivers state government, it is mostly circulated in the south-south.
The Vanguard is one of the most popular Nigerian newspapers. Established in 1983, by Sam Amuka-Pemu, a veteran Journalist. The paper’s website has a good user interface and is responsive.
The Guardian priotizes high-quality investigate journalism over anything. Founded in 1983 by one of Nigeria’s top entrepreneur, Alex Ibru and veteran journalist, Stanley Macebuh who worked with the Daily Times newspapers.
These online newspapers are the most visited and most trusted in the country. Some have apps that can be downloaded online. If you want to access them all at once, I’ll suggest you bookmark them in your browser for easy access.
If you know more online Nigerian newspapers that was not mentioned here, please feel free to add it below at the comment section.