The Nigerian National Anthem was adopted in 1978 which replaced the old colonial anthem “Nigeria we hail thee”. It has two stanzas. Till date, most Nigerians don’t know how to recite the national anthem or even say her pledge.
The Nigerian National Anthem is the symbol of unity and patriotism among Nigerians. It is for Nigeria, by Nigerians in Nigeria and the diaspora but sadly, a vast majority of the Nigerian populace do not know how to recite the national anthem.
Some who have a clue, begin to recite and stop halfway, while others mistake words like “fatherland” for “father’s land” and this can be somewhat embarrassing.
“Arise O Compatriots” as the Nigerian National Anthem is fondly called was adopted in the year 1978 and it replaced the former National Anthem, “Nigeria, We Hail Thee”.
The words of the Nigerian National Anthem were put to music by the Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of Benedict E. Odiase.
It is noteworthy to mention that the first stanza of the Nigerian National Anthem is also known as the General Salute, while the second stanza of the Anthem is called the National Prayer.
The Nigerian National Anthem is mostly said at official gatherings, sport events and military parades. When the Nigerian national anthem lyrics is said, one is expected to stand still when it is being sung. Below are the lyrics of the Nigerian’s National Anthem
- Stanza 1:
- Arise, O compatriots
- Nigeria’s call obey
- To serve our fatherland
- With love and strength and faith
- The labour of our heroes past
- Shall never be in vain
- To serve with heart and might
- One nation bound in freedom
- Peace and unity.
- Stanza 2:
- Oh God of creation
- Direct our noble cause
- Guide our leaders right
- Help our youth the truth to know
- In love and honesty to grow
- And living just and true
- Great lofty heights attain
- To build a nation where peace
- And justice shall reign.
- The Plegde:
- This is recited immediately after the National Anthem with the right arm on the chest.
- “I pledge to Nigeria my country
- To be faithful, loyal and honest
- To serve Nigeria with all my strength
- To defend her unity, and uphold her honor and glory
- So help me God.
- Please note that it was Benedict E. Odiase who composed/wrote the Nigerian national anthem. You can also learn of the history of the Nigerian National anthem on Wikipedia and can download Nigeria national anthem song from Youtube easily if you want to learn it.
- If you are patriotic, help teach someone by sharing
The Lyrics of the Nigerian National Anthem in Hausa
Yaku ‘yan Nijeriya ku farka;
Ku amsa kiran Nijeriya;
Domin mu taimaki ƙasarmu ta haihuwa;
Don aiki ga ƙasata cikin soyayya da riƙon gaskiya;
Domin gudumawar da shuwagabaninmu ‘yan kishin ƙasa suka bada;
kada ta zama a banza;
Muyi aiki da zuciya ɗaya da girmamawa a gareta;
Domin ta kasance ƙasa ɗaya mai yanci ga kowa tare da haɗin kai da zaman lafiya.
Lyrics of the Nigerian National Anthem in Igbo
Bilie nu Umunne,
Nigeria oku rubere,
Iji na-eje ozi anyị nna,
Na ịhụnanya na ike na okwukwe,
The ọrụ anyị dike gara aga,
Agaghi-abụ ihe efu,
Iji na-eje ozi na obi na idi-ike,
Otu mba kee onwe,
Udo na ịdị n’otu.
Lyrics of the Nigerian National Anthem in Yoruba
Dide eyin ara .
Wa je-pe Naijiria,
ka fife sin ‘lewa
pelu okun ati ‘gbagbo
Ki ise awon akoni wa
ko ma se ja sa-san,
Ka sin tokan-tara
ile tominira wa,
ti alafia so-dokan.