You accepted your university admission at some time during your first school year. After that, you prepared and packed your belongings before heading off to make the most of your new educational opportunity. After the excitement of starting university has worn off, you may desire to change your present course. Before you go into a panic, here’s how to change your current course of study to another at the same school or university.
CONSIDERATIONS BEFORE DOING INTRA-UNIVERSITY TRANSFER IN NIGERIA
Before transferring between universities, there are a few things to think about. In the same way, before getting started, there are a few things to think about.
Moreover, when you realize that changing your course is the best option for you, keep in mind that there are a few practical considerations you should make before deciding to switch university programs. The following are the most important of them:
- First, consider “why” you need to change your course. Go for the new course if it’s on your mind, because institutions are well aware of student pressure and will almost certainly reject your application.
- Also, keep in mind that if you don’t meet the basic program qualifications for the course you’d like to switch to, it’s unlikely that you’ll be allowed. This indicates that you will not be admitted to the course.
- Third, there’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to change courses in the year you need them, especially if you submit your application after the deadline. This is especially true in prestigious universities’ top courses, where space may be limited.
WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR UNIVERSITY COURSE?
There are several reasons why intra-university transfer may be necessary. Leaving your course is a big decision that isn’t always easy to make. Here are a few things to consider:
IS YOUR CURRENT COURSE UNFAVORABLE?
It’s possible that you enjoy the course content but not the course insight. Decemberbe you don’t like a particular module, or you think the lecturers aren’t as helpful as you expected, or you think the course delivery could be more engaging.
YOU’RE FINDING IT DIFFICULT TO ADJUST TO UNIVERSITY LIFE
It’s possible that you don’t dislike your subject, but you don’t appreciate various viewpoints on university life. Convenience, social life, and other factors influence your thoughts on the course. Many students believe they dislike their course and need to transfer institutions when, in reality, they are simply trying to adjust to university life or want to return home.
YOUR JOB PROSPECTS HAVE SHIFTED
Another cause could be that you selected to take the course when you weren’t sure how you needed to manage your life. However, you now have a better idea of what occupation will make you happy, and this training does not support your new career choice.
REQUIREMENTS AND COST OF CHANGING COURSE IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY
In general, there are a few requirements that students must satisfy before transferring to a different course or department. The following are the essential requirements:
- First and first, you, the student, must meet the academic criteria. In Nigerian institutions, a student must meet certain criteria in order to transfer from one department to another.
- In any event, each Department will set its own minimal cut-off GPA for admitting students to the department via Change of Degree Programme.
- Another need is that you pay the required charge and obtain a Payment Invoice. The aspirant must pay a five thousand naira (N5,000.00) application processing fee with it. This slip may be required in the future.
- After that, the university’s Admissions Office will confirm the students’ eligibility for the new Departments and process the applications of the students whose names appear on the payment schedule.
INTRA-UNIVERSITY TRANSFER: HOW TO CHANGE COURSE IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY (2022)
When you’ve barely started your course and know it’s time to switch your department to a favorable one, then this guide will be helpful.
If you have your application completed and submitted before the deadline, you may be able to amend without too many problems. If you want to change departments during your first year of university, follow the steps below (i.e. 100L). Simply follow the steps below:
- Determine which course you’ll be switching to and why: Before beginning anything, it is a good idea to speak with your personal academic advisor. This means you should talk to your personal tutor or program leader about your choice to change courses. They will supply you with information on how to carry out the process simply by going. Also, complete this as soon as possible before the deadline expires.
- Contact the student affairs office at your school: Every university’s administration system operates in a slightly different way. As a result, you’ll need to learn how your university’s intra-university transfer system works. This is accomplished by contacting your student services office for assistance. Your institution’s student affairs section will undoubtedly assist you with the Intra-University transfer procedure, direct you to the appropriate departments or courses, and inform you of who you need to speak with at university.
- Complete and fill out the application forms: Another vital step is to complete and fill out the forms related to changing your course. This form will be available in your school’s student affairs department, and some may be accessed online. Always visit your academic advisor or the student assistance office if you’re unsure where to receive the paperwork.
- Complete the following processes and pay the application fee: Your current department and the department of the course you want to change to will usually review your Intra-University transfer application. You will be accepted into the new program once you have met all of the requirements.
Finally, after your application has been approved, you will be notified. We wish you good luck as you switch to a favorable course.
This article is excessive because we were able to highlight the procedures for changing departments or programs at Nigerian universities. We hope that this information was useful and that you were able to move to another course of your choice as a result of it!