Abia State University is among the 36 state owned universities in Nigeria approved by the National Universities Commission (NUC). The purpose of its creation is to expand academic admissions, harness professional skills with the aid of human expertise through modern research facilities whilst helping rural dwellers and students obtain higher education.
ABSU was founded in 1981 and this state university is located at Uturu in Abia state. Since its establishment, this school has proven to be one of the best state universities in Nigeria by providing the much needed leadership through the acquisition and dissemination of ICT-driven skills beyond the eastern part of the country.
The University’s academic plan is seen in its objective to provide a condusive atmosphere that promotes teaching, learning, capacity building and research which will enhance the reputation and ranking of this academic institution both on the national and international forefront of academics.
ABSU has strong partnership with other institutions, government bodies, and even the private sector in science and technology, Law, Education, and Social sciences. This would provide not only collaboration but an environment for thorough academic work.
Studying at Abia State University would be a good choice when filling your JAMB or writing your POST UTME. ABSU offers opportunity to undergraduate and post-graduate programs for interested candidates or students by either filling the admission form and the School of Post Graduate Studies’ application form.
The current Vice-Chancellor of the school is Professor Uchenna Eleazer Ikonne and the number of admitted students present at the university is estimated at 20,389 students. Out of these figure, 18940 are undergraduates while 1139 are postgraduates. Doctoral students are few with participants within this program numbering 310.
Visit Abia state university (ABSU) official website at http://www.abiastateuniversity.edu.ng to learn more about their admission process, accomodation, school fees, programs and more educational resources about the school.
Courses Offered in Abia State University (ABSU)
Here is a comprehensive list of courses offered in Abia State University that are accredited:
- Agric-Econs and Extension
- Agricultural Education
- Animal Science
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Business Education
- Business Management
- Civil Law
- Crop production
- Education and Accountancy
- Education and Chemistry
- Education and English Language
- Education and French
- Education and Geography
- Education and History
- Education and Igbo
- Education and Integrated Science
- Education and Islamic Studies
- Education and Physics
- Education and Political Science
- Education and Religious Studies
- Education and Social Studies
- Education and Fine Art
- Educational Management
- Educational Management and Planning
- Electrical Engineering Technology
- English Language and Literature
- Fine & Applied Arts
- Fine Art/Fine And Applied Arts
- Food Science and Technology
- French / Social Studies
- Geography and Planning
- Guidance and Counseling
- History and International Studies
- Home Economics Education
- Language and Literature
- Library and Information science
- Mass Communication
- Medicine and Surgery
- Nursing / Nursing Science
- Plant Science
- Plant Science and Biotechnology
- Public Administration
- Soil Science.
The university system has two campus, ten colleges and various centres. The main ABSU campus is at Uturu while the College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine is located in Umuahia, Abia State capital.
The ten colleges include:
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
- College of Biological and Physical Sciences
- College of Business Administration
- College of Education
- College of Engineering and Environmental Studies
- College of Law
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences
- College of Optometry
- College of Postgraduate Studies
Abia State University
P.M.B. 2000, Uturu
Abia State, Nigeria.
Email: [email protected]
Public Relations Unit
Email: [email protected]