We previously listed all 36 state governors in Nigeria. This post will specifically list all APC State Governors currently in Nigeria.
Before we delve into the names of APC state governors in Nigeria, note that the APC won 19 states in the last 2021 general election which makes them the current ruling party in Nigeria while the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) won 16 states.
The Nigerian constitution stipulates that “A person shall be eligible for the office of State Governor in Nigeria if he or she is a citizen of Nigeria by birth, or at least 35 years of age, and should be a member of a registered political party that is recognized by law of the land.
A political party is a platform by which group people, who share the same ideology about the way a particular country should be governed come together to seize power during an election.
In Nigeria, there are currently more than 50 recognized registered political parties this 2021 according to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). APC, PDP, ANPP, KOWA e.t.c are some of the major political parties in Nigeria.
The full meaning of APC is All Progressive Congress and its slogan is “CHANGE”. The current national caretaker chairman of the All Progressive Congress (APC) is Mai Mala Buni.
The constitution limits these Nigerian state governors to only two terms of four-year terms in office.
Below is a compiled list of the 21 All Progressive Congress state governors in Nigeria currently.
List of 21 APC State Governors in Nigeria 2021
- Borno State, Babagana Umara Zulum, APC.
- Ekiti State, John OluKayode Fayemi, APC.
- Gombe State, Inuwa Yahaya, APC.
- Jigawa State, Alhaji Badaru Muhammad, APC.
- Kaduna State, Nasirel Rufai, APC.
- Kano State, Umar Ganduje, APC.
- Katsina State, Aminu Masari, APC.
- Kebbi State, Atiku Bagudu, APC.
- Kwara State, Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, APC.
- Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, APC.
- Nasarawa State, Abdullahi Sule, APC.
- Niger State, Abubakar Sanu-Lulu Bello, APC.
- Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, APC.
- Ogun State, Dapo Abiodun, APC.
- Plateau State, Rt Hon Simon Lalong, APC.
- Yobe State, Mai Mala Buni, APC.
- Abuja F.C.T, Mohammed Bello
- Imo State, Hope Uzodinma, APC
- Cross River State, Ben Ayade APC
- Ebonyi State, Dave Umahi APC
- Zamfara State, Bello Matawalle APC
From the above names of APC governors in Nigeria, Ekiti state has recently conducted their election and strengthened their APC hold in it by replacing Ayodele Fayose with John OluKayode Fayemi. Ondo State also held elections which saw Rotimi Akeredolu of the All Progressives Congress win the election.
APC also won in Osun state as Gboyega Oyetola defeated Ademola Adeleke in the just concluded election. Bello Matawalle of Zamfara state just joined the fray of governors who defected from the PDP to APC.
As earlier stated, APC governors are more in number because they are the leading party that won majority of the governors seats in Nigeria. Obaseki of Edo state joined PDP after APC dumped him.
We’ve got the updated list of Governors elected in the 2021 elections which was held across states in country.
While the governorship election 6 states was declared inconclusive, there wee surprises as some Governors were also handed a second term.
Here is the list of governors elected in the 2021 election below:
- Abia Statee -Okezie Ikpeazu
- Akwa-Ibom- Udom Emmanuel
- Bauchi- Bala Mohammed
- Borno- Babagana Zulu
- Cross River- Benedict Ayade
- Delta- Ifeanyi Okowa
- Ebonyi- David Umahi
- Enugu- Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi
- Gombe- Inuwa Yahaya
- Jigawa- Mohammadu Abubakar
- Kaduna- Nasir El-Rufa
- Katsina- Aminu Masari
- Kebbi- Atiku Bagudu
- Kwara- Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq
- Lagos- Babajide Sanwo-Olu
- Nassarawa- Abdullahi Sule
- Niger- Abubakar Bello
- Ogun- Dapo Abiodun
- Oyo- Seyi Makinde
- Yobe- Mai Mala Buni
- Zamfara-Bello Matawalle (Order by Supreme Court)
- Imo – Emeka Ihedioha
- Taraba- Darius Ishaku
- Bayelsa-Douye Diri (Supreme court declared him winner)